Perhaps you are already wondering and asking yourself what is it that the Almighty and all-powerful God is unable to do. For clarity, “cannot do” in this case does not mean inability on God’s side but is something that reveal His eternal character. There are some things that God cannot do for He cannot act contrary to his character.
The written word of God affirms God’s power and sovereignty, “Is anything too hard for the Lord?” Gen 18: 14. Again, “with God all things are possible” Matt 26:19. For this reason apostle Paul asserts, “I can do all everything through him who gives me strength” Phil 4:13.
Here are seven things that God cannot do (and that we should be thankful for):
- God cannot lie-“God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?” Num 23:19. It is impossible for Him to lie: Titus 1:2; Heb 6:18. He cannot lie, and so you can bank on every single word or promise he has said and promised in his word.
- God cannot let a sinner inherit his kingdom– God hates sin and cannot allow a sinner to inherit his kingdom. “Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God: Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God” 1Cor 6:9-10. He will simply say to them, “I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers” Matt7:23.
- God does not show favoritism- Acts 10:34-35, Jas 2 – He is not a respecter of persons; He accepts all men from every nation who fear him and do what is right. He judges all peoples in righteousness and with equity.
- God cannot disown himself- He is what he says he is. He is the great I AM. His being is not dependent on our response. “Here is a trustworthy saying: if we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself” 2 Tim 2:11-13.
- God cannot violate his covenant– Ps 89:34- “I will not violate my covenant or alter what my lips have uttered”. He can’t break his covenant promises, “Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.” He cannot change his mind along the way for his word is eternal and firmly established in the heavens.
- God cannot stop loving you– Ps 103: 17 “But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children.” God also declares, “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness” Jer 31:3. We also see it in Jn 3:16. God cannot stop loving you because he is love, 1 Jn 4:8.
- God will never leave you nor forsake you– “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you” Deut 31:6. Sadly, we sometimes and perhaps most of the times forsake Him but he still remains faithful.
- God cannot forget you- “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me” Isa 49:15-16.
Since God cannot do these things we can be sure that our salvation is real, our faith sure, our hope firm, His promises trustworthy, and that His word abides forever.
2 thoughts on “8 THINGS GOD CANNOT DO”